Description:12.3 megapixel DX format CMOS image sensor.
Built-in self-cleaning sensor unit.
6fps continuous shooting (8fps with optional MB-D10 battery pack and EN-EL4a or 8 AA batteries).
ISO 200-3200: ext up to ISO 6400 (equivalent) and down to ISO 100 (equivalent).
EXPEED image processing engine with 14-bit A/D conversion and 16-bit image processing for superb tonal gradation.
Advanced Scene Recognition System combines the cameras metering and AF sensors for precise exposures.
Multi-CAM3500DX 51-point AF system.
Quick response with approx 0.13 second power-up and 45 millisecond shutter release time lag.
920,000 dot 3-inch VGA LCD monitor with wide.
Live View with Autofocus lets you compose images using the LCD monitor.
Magnesium alloy body.
Water and dust resistant.
Dimensions (W x H x D) Approx. 147 x 114 x 74 mm.
Weight Approx. 825 g without battery.


As an upgrade from my Nikon D70, this camera is an absolute marvel. I've only had it a couple of weeks but already I'm getting far more usable shots than I did before.



Took several shots from the Bunting Hide at Pennington on a dull, rainy day, today (something I just couldn't have done with my D70), and I upped the ISO to 3200 just to see what the camera was cabable of. Yes, there was some noise, but only as much as I was used to at 400 ISO with my D70. On it's own, this is worth the upgrade, but the camera offers so much more.

6 frames per second is ample for most situations, and with the battery pack that goes up to 8!

Build quality is exceptional, and rubber seals are use throughout - the camera isn't waterproof, but it'll keep the rain and dust out.

I am still getting used to the camera - the manual is over 400 pages - and that's just the one language! I love the way you can focus using the AF-ON button instead of the shutter release button - makes it so easy to go from manual to single to continous focussing without having to use any switches.
I have used it mainly with the Sigma 500mm f4.5 HSM, and it's a cracking combo - photos are so much more sharp than what I was getting before.

So far I've only got two gripes - the first is the price is still a little high, but it is falling somewhat - I just couldn't wait any longer!

The second "proplem" is that when I use the Kenko 1.4x converter with the Sigma 500, if the light isn't great, the low battery warning light comes on and the camera freezes, - switching off and on unfreezes the camera. This isn't a major problem - I always used to have to focus the Sigma and converter combo manually on the D70 anyway as it used to hunt too much.

This last issue is the only reason i haven't given a score of 10.

I won't go into the multitude of other things this camera can do - there are far too many for here, and I haven't even tried most of them (live view, 51 point focussing, etc). And it has got a fantastic monitor on the back too.

Resolution: 12.3 MP (4288 x 2848 pixels)

Size: 5.8 x 4.5 x 2.9 inches

Weight: 1.9 pounds (with CF card and battery)
Price as Reviewed: $1,799.00

Last words - this is a great camera! you should buy it,
Bookmark and Share